How to learn CCM toward CCVP without owning CCM or a server?

Unanswered Question
Oct 17th, 2008

Well, I can't afford the CCM software that I need to practice for the CCVP track, nor do I have a server to host it on (and they're also expensive). Unfortunately, I don't work at a place that uses any of this, and there isn't a handly lab next-door where I can go practice.

How do people learn CCM when you don't have the software/hardware to learn it on? How does Cisco approach this problem, because I know I'm not the only one in this predicament?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
babatunde_sanda Fri, 10/17/2008 - 18:46

A professional friend of mine told me its possible to install the ccm in vmware. I haven't tried it cause am reading for my last exam in the CCNP track (ONT)but I do believe its possible. Try reseaching this. Although there is nothing like real experience and to really get the feel of it, you will still need to invest in some equipment like the voice gateways and two phones or more. Also fxo and fxs cards for the routers. Am beginning to talk too much. I believe you have an idea of things you will need. Try researching that option. That is what I hope to use when am ready although am fortunate to support a production environment with CCM.

Best of luck.

Rate if it helps.

cisco24x7 Sat, 10/18/2008 - 05:20

Yes, you can install CCM 6.x on vmware. It

is just like installing Linux. CCM 6.x is

linux OS with app running on top of it.

Search google and you will find plenty of

link on how to do it, if you have the ISO

image.

tim.giles Sun, 10/19/2008 - 07:16

Hi,

Yes, you can create your own VM images for all the CallManager versions as well as Unity and UCCX if you need to. You can also use IPC's (IP Communicator's) for phones so theoretically you don't need to buy much.

Cisco also do their own demo/development software. The Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0 SDK is a developer version of Unified Communications Manager made available strictly for development and test use only:

http://www.cisco.com/web/developer/cucm/content/download.html

Dynagen/Dynamips is also an extremely useful tool which you can use to simulate routers, switches etc. so you can build networks:

http://www.dynagen.org/

Obviously there's nothing like the real thing though so if you can afford some of the hardware it will give you some really good experience!

Please rate useful posts..

Actions

This Discussion