Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace PIX by ASA

moabdallah
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to replace PIX 535 ver. 7.2(3) by ASA 5520 ver. 8.0

Can i take the configuration from the PIX "copy and paste" to the ASA although its different version ?

Is there is any different in commands between PIX ver. 7.2(3) and ASA ver. 8.0 ?

Regards

Mohamed

3 Replies 3

1cmerchant
Level 1
Level 1

I'm pretty sure that you can't just copy and paste the configuration from the Pix into the ASA and expect it to work exactly the same. In addition you really should configure the ASA from scratch in order to get some console time on that device and become familiar with it's various options, etc.

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Mohamed,

Since, the CLI for 7.2 on the Pix and 8.0 on the ASA are pretty much the same, you should be able to copy/paste most of the configuration. But, I am sure that you need to make changes to the interface numbers, etc before you paste the configuration. With that said, I would do couple of things before deploying the ASA in production.

1. Copy the Pix configuration, make the necessary changes and apply it on the ASA in a Lab environment.

2. Paste only a portion of the configuration at a time, so its easy to track the commands that the ASA 8.0 does not like.

3. Refer the below ASA release notes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/release/notes/asarn80.html

4. Make sure that you save the configuration on the Pix535 and keep it ready in case if you run into any issues with the ASA5520.

5. Have a detail test script and your server team ready to test all applications/user traffic/etc through the ASA before you deem the project as complete.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

veljko.tasic
Level 1
Level 1

You can use Pix-to-ASA migration tool. This software will prepare everything for migration.

You can find it at Cisco website.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: