Views
Helpful
Replies

H-REAP Configuration

sateeshk10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a WLC 4400 at my HQ. Now i want install AP at branch office and i have tunnel between HQ-BO.

pls let what configration need to be done in AP and WLC. pls send me the simple steps...

Regards

sateesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problem.... see below

1) At my HQ end already one WLAN(test) is configure for my local user. I want to use same SSID for my remote also can i use??

Yes you can have ssid on both the HQ and BO's. When your ap's at the central site is configured in local mode, all the ssid's you have configured on the wlc will be mapped to the vlan you have set on the wlan ssid interface drop down menu.

2)I want to same wireless interface for remote also..wlan -- test(WLAN name) -- general -- wirelessinterface tab (already one interface mapped to that). Can i use thisor i need create seprate wireless interface..

The interfaces are only for the wlc's and interfaces required on the cental location. For the remote end, you need to map the ssid to a vlan in the ap under the h-reap tab.

3) In WLAN - test == H-reap tab( I have checked the VLAN support and native vlan tab what i have to give(ex: remote end vlan is 11) same i have to give??? and also what i have to give in VLAN mapping TAB???

This tab is only for the ap set to h-reap at the BO. So if the ap is on vlan 10, you set the native vlan to 10. The ssid mapping is for local mapping. So if you want ssid test to be on vlan 11 on the BO, you set that to 10.

5) I have seend h-reap group in WIRELESS TAB-- you want to create anything over there??

I usually don't unless you are setting up radius that each BO will be using.

My intenetion is i want to join my remote AP to my wireless device thats all..I dont want to use any extra futures also..only i need make it up the remote ned AP...

Best thing to do is to stage the ap's at the central location so that it can upgrade its firmware and then ship it out to the BO. this way you don't have to worry about bandwidth issues while the h-reap ap's are upgrading.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a good document that is simple. Also you must verify that you have meet the requirements for h-reap.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

-Scott

Hi,

Thanks for doucment. I have gone trgh the document, but still i am not clear ..

What ever the switch configuration given in the document is the remote end configuration ???

1) At remote end i need to connect the AP to switch as trunk or Can i connect my AP to switch as access port ??

2) In document DHCP configured in switch itself....Already at my HQ WLC as intregrated with DHCP server...means when ever clients connect to AP they will get IP trgh internal DHCP server...

3)My question is remote people cannot get the DHCP IP trgh my corparate server????

4) We have seprate DHCP server at remote office i want to use that server for remote clients, how can i configure for the same..

Regards

Sateesh

Hoepfully this helps:

1) At remote end i need to connect the AP to switch as trunk or Can i connect my AP to switch as access port ??

If you are going to have the ap and the wireless user on the same vlan, then you can use an access port. If you will have the ap in a management vlan in the remote end and wireless users on a seperate vlan, then you need to have a dot1q trunk with the native vlan being the subnet the ap will be on.

2) In document DHCP configured in switch itself....Already at my HQ WLC as intregrated with DHCP server...means when ever clients connect to AP they will get IP trgh internal DHCP server...

If you plan on using the same dhcp server for the remote sites and have all the resources centraized then you will setup the wlan for centralized and not local switching. If you have a dhcp server on the remote side and local resouces then you should setup the wlan as locally switched so that users get their ip address from a dhcp local at the remote site.

3)My question is remote people cannot get the DHCP IP trgh my corparate server????

They can if you wish... consider the bandwidth you have from HQ to BO.

4) We have seprate DHCP server at remote office i want to use that server for remote clients, how can i configure for the same..

What do you mean for the same? When you create a WLAN ssid, there is a checkbox in the advanced tab for local switching. this enables you to specify the vlan in which users who associate to that ssid will be mapped to on the remote side (in h-reap, this also means locally). So a user will be placed on vlan x on the remote side, so as long as you have a dhcp server with a scope configured for that network and ip helper address on the layer 3 interface of the router, users will be able to obtain an ip address.

-Scott

Hi fella,

Awesome explain...Sorry to bother you once again as i am newbee to WLC..

1) At my HQ end already one WLAN(test) is configure for my local user. I want to use same SSID for my remote also can i use??

2)I want to same wireless interface for remote also..wlan -- test(WLAN name) -- general -- wirelessinterface tab (already one interface mapped to that). Can i use thisor i need create seprate wireless interface..

3) In WLAN - test == H-reap tab( I have checked the VLAN support and native vlan tab what i have to give(ex: remote end vlan is 11) same i have to give??? and also what i have to give in VLAN mapping TAB???

5) I have seend h-reap group in WIRELESS TAB-- you want to create anything over there??

6) Local switching option is avail in WLAN tab Where the centralizaed switching option will be avail??

My intenetion is i want to join my remote AP to my wireless device thats all..I dont want to use any extra futures also..only i need make it up the remote ned AP...

Once again sorry to bother you...

Thanks

Sateesh

No problem.... see below

Yes you can have ssid on both the HQ and BO's. When your ap's at the central site is configured in local mode, all the ssid's you have configured on the wlc will be mapped to the vlan you have set on the wlan ssid interface drop down menu.

The interfaces are only for the wlc's and interfaces required on the cental location. For the remote end, you need to map the ssid to a vlan in the ap under the h-reap tab.

This tab is only for the ap set to h-reap at the BO. So if the ap is on vlan 10, you set the native vlan to 10. The ssid mapping is for local mapping. So if you want ssid test to be on vlan 11 on the BO, you set that to 10.

I usually don't unless you are setting up radius that each BO will be using.

Best thing to do is to stage the ap's at the central location so that it can upgrade its firmware and then ship it out to the BO. this way you don't have to worry about bandwidth issues while the h-reap ap's are upgrading.

-Scott

Hi,

Now I am clear about h-leap.. But 3 point ans i did n`t understand..

I have single vlan(10) at my B0. Now in AP - H-leap -- Native VLAN shld be 10 and vlan mappings ( ssid test --- Vlan 10)...

I hope what you want to explain is the same??

Reagrds

Sateesh

Yes... that is right. If you only have one vlan at the BO, then you can setup the the switch port as access port vlan 10. Hope this helps.

-Scott

My question not related to switch...its related AP ....

At my HQ:

WLAN -- Test

At BO

VLAN 10

IN WLC- AP -- H-leap -- native vlan shld be 10 ?? right

In vlan mappings TAB -- test 10 ?? right

Regards

sateesh

Yes you are right.

-Scott

Hi...

Thanks for your excellent reponse

I really appreciate the way you have answered to all my queries ...

Now all my queries resolved..Tommorow i will try to deploy AP at my remote..

Once again thank you very much

Regards

sateesh

No problem at all.. just respond back to this thread if you have any issues.

-Scott

Will remote AP shows in WLC AP list at HQ.

Regards

sateesh

Yes as long as the ap still can communicate to the wlc. Also I would use 4.2.130 on the wlc. 5.0 stinks and 5.1 is too new.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card