Hardware in Ebay

Unanswered Question
Oct 18th, 2008

Hi all!

I'm currently studying ccna, and Im thingking of buying cisco hardware on ebay. What do you think is the best hardware that I can buy to for my CCNA studies?

Note: I already have boson simulator. But I want to have a real hardware to work with.

Thank you very much!!!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
tim.giles Mon, 10/20/2008 - 00:47

It all depends on your budget I guess?

Dynagen (terminal emulator) is by far the best option for playing with routers and switches but obviously there's nothing like the real thing!

In terms of routers, 2600's are cheap now and will future-proof you till CCNP if you want to carry on. They are modular as well so you can swap cards to test different things (frame relay etc.).

You can use 2900 switches to test VLANS and trunking etc. If you can afford 2950's, then go for these!

This should do you to start with, you can extend your lab though, it all depends on your budget.

Like I said, you can do most of this with Dynamips but you probably want to get some hands on experience..

Please rate useful posts..

Urfan Khaliq Tue, 10/21/2008 - 07:19

I'm looking to buy kit for my bsci exam. Thinking three 2611's?? Seen as they going for 25ish on fleabay. Thoughts ppl? I do have dynamips but my laptop is slow so thought about 100 quid should get me three 2600s that I could use to practise routing with. Can anyone suggest anything else within the budget or whether it's even worth it? Thanks

tperrier Wed, 10/22/2008 - 00:43

> The 2611's can't do OSPFv3 so that could be an issue.

Actually, they can, but you must TFTP boot them using a 2600 XM IOS, and have 64 MB installed (the maximum possible). It works with a 12.2T IOS, however you can no longer download old releases like this directly from Cisco's site. It may work with 12.3, I don't remember ; but more recent XM releases need too much memory and won't boot successfully.

Granted, it's simpler to simply buy some 2600 XMs, but they may be a bit more expensive!

cisco24x7 Tue, 10/21/2008 - 17:35

"Dynagen (terminal emulator) is by far the best option for playing with routers and switches but obviously there's nothing like the real thing! "

that is NOT true. GNS3 you can do at lot

of amazing with IOS 12.4T on Cisco VXR7206

router.

There are NO differences between Dynamips/GNS3

and real routers.

sirdudesly Tue, 10/21/2008 - 19:16

Yep, GNS3 is just a graphical frontend for dynamips and makes it a lot easier to work with. It means I can emulate 5 7200 series at home that I could never afford :P

shillyar Tue, 10/21/2008 - 20:35

I just installed it on a new 32bit vista quad. GNS3 works great and its easy and simple to use once you get in installed. It does take some moving of files to the proper place as the install doesn't put all the files in the right place for some dumb reason. Just be prepared to buy a quad core with 4G as 3 routers locked up my dual core laptop.

if money's not an issue

2511 comserver

2523 or a 4000 w NM-8t's for a FR switch

2-3 35xx's

5 26xx's with FE's and serial wics

good luck

lffrwatson Tue, 10/28/2008 - 06:04

Buy what you can afford. I have been using 1750's and 2600's for lab work and they have never failed me. I used that gear to get my CCVP, CCDP, CCNP, and CCIE written r/s. I picked up a 3550 layer 3 switch off of ebay for 500 bucks. Deals can be found if you do your homework right.

Actions

This Discussion