cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot delete an IOS image from boot.

anjery1234
Level 1
Level 1

Doing an ios upgrade; for some reason, i'm unable to remove an IOS image from boot to free up space.

The platform is a 6509 CatOS.

When i do "sh boot" the file is clearly there; when i do clear system flash bootflash <file name>, it says file not found.

Please help.

Jeremie

2 Replies 2

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Firstly the clear sytem flash bootflash command only removes the boot variable, it does not delete the file from the system bootflash.

Ensure that you specify the file name correctly and is case sensitive. For example,

clear boot system flash bootflash:cat6000-sup.5-1-1.bin

The will only remove the entry bootflash:cat6000-sup.5-1-1 from the boot variable.

Running the 'show boot' after will show what other images have been specified.

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat6000-sup.5-2-1.bin,1;bootflash:cat6000-sup.4-5-2.

bin,1;

If there is only one boot statement run a 'clear boot system all' this will clear the boot variable completely:-

Console> (enable) clear boot system all

BOOT variable =

Console> (enable)

You will then need to configure the boot variable accordingly the new system image that you are upgrading too.

Are you sure that there is insufficient space available to copy the image onto the flash. Ideally keep to system image on the flash so that you can boot of the old image if the new one should fail?

Take a look at the following document about modifying the boot configuration:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/7.x/configuration/guide/boot.html

Hope this helps..

Allan.

Pls rate helpful posts..

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To see what images you have in flash do a "dir bootflash: or a dir slot0: or a dir disk0: depending on what you have in the box then delete what you want , "delete bootflash: " then do a squeeze bootflash to actually recover the filespace.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: