642-812 BCSM Recomended Lab

Unanswered Question

I was looking over the BCSM recomended lab set up and equipment list (attached PDF). This is seriouly on the pricey side. Does anyone know if the 3560 switch can be replaced by the 3550 (more accessable & affordable) ? Also, for the lab scenerios I would need to know for the test is all this equipment needed ?

Any advice is greatly apperciated

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jrensink78 Tue, 10/21/2008 - 08:00

Cisco always recommends currently selling hardware I believe. But you definitely don't need it. I personally used 2- 3550s and 2- 2950s for my BCMSN studies and that was more than adequate. If you don't want to spring for the 3550s, you could go with just 2950s (I would get a least 3, preferably 4). Use routers to do the layer 3 stuff.

There really isn't a ton of layer 3 specific switching stuff on the test. It's mostly layer 2. Much of the layer 3 stuff can be done on routers. For instance, the gateway redundancy protocols (HSRP, VRRP, etc). It's a little different, since you won't be doing the configs on an SVI interface, but you'll definitely get the gist. Understanding how the protocols work is the most important thing for the test.

If you do have the money, layer 3 switches are nice to have for your studies. Plus, you can always sell them when you are done with the test. I wouldn't call them absolutely necessary though.

Actions

This Discussion