Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS not resolving through network

avaholic1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a Windows Small Business Server and a fairly simple network with the SBS doing DNS, AD, Exchange, SQL, etc. All clients on the network use the SBS as their internal gateway. The SBS is connected to a hardware firewall device and then to our T-3.

We need to use a Remote access VPN connection to our parent company's network via the Cisco VPN client. I have opened the proper ports within ISA and our hardware firewall/router to allow for the traffic. I can make the connection and it stays active, however DNS is not resolving to the parent company's internal network.

IPCONFIG /all on one of the clients shows the VPN connection and the proper dns server at the remote location, but it wont use the remote DNS server and falls back to the DNS address of my local SBS(10.10.1.1). When you try and browse a remote website on their internal network, ie. 'https://intranet," you get a proxy error from ISA.

I know very little about the network to which I am connecting other then the IP that I was given to place in the Cisco VPN Client software.

Any ideas on how to allow these VPN Connections to use the remote site's DNS server?

Thanks,

Chris

2 Replies 2

singhsaju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Are you able to ping 10.0.11.56? If not let your VPN administrator know about it.Also check with VPN administrator if NAT-T is enabled on the VPN headend device.

HTH

Saju

Pls rate helpful posts

Should have posted that too... Yes it pings through fine. I just can't resolve DNS on at the remote site as you see from the nslookup it falls back to the SBS.

And, yes NAT-T is enabled at the headend.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: