cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use a AIR-LAP1131AG-A-K9 as a stand alone AP

aaron.grussner
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't worked with one of these AP's yet so I just wanted to know if it's possible before I start trying to set it up. We just have a small office with a few users so it shuold give us plenty of coverage. Thanks.

12 Replies 12

Lighweight ap's don't operate independently. They require a wireless lan controller.

But if you wish to, you can convert the lightweight ap to an autonomous ap so it can function alone without the need of a controller.

As pirate says, you can downgrade these to autonomous mode if you already have the LAP models. However, if you haven't yet ordered these, you can conveniently order the AP model instead of the LAP model. These come pre-loaded with the autonomous IOS software, which means less work for you.

Just be careful when ordering, because the part numbers are nearly identical:

AIR-LAP1131AG-x-K9

AIR-LAP1131AG-x-K9

(x = country code, which is "A" for America, "E" for Europe, "J" for Japan, etc...)

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Aaron,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Pirate (Arggh!) and Jeff. (+5 points for each of you guys :)

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

From this excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

Hope this helps!

Rob

hey, rob!!! thanks for the 5 points. i'd like to give you 10 for the very well laid steps on how to convert an ap to lwapp, but sorry they only got up to 5 pts.

Thanks for the info, since I already bought this AP I guess I'll just downgrade it so I can use it this week. For the AIR-LAP1131AG-A-K9 which file do I need to convert it to Autonomous mode? Thanks.

Hi Aaron,

This was nicely supplied by Kunal from Cisco in a previous thread :)

Login to cisco website home page > support > Download Software > wireless software > Login with CCO username and password > select access point folder >Cisco Aironet 1130AG Series > IOS software >12.4(10b)ja3 >select wireless lan hyper link.

Download it after accepting cisco agreement.

The file full name is : c1130-k9w7-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar

And you need to rename it to :

c1130-k9w7-tar.defaut.

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS: Pirate, thanks buddy! It's always a pleasure woking with such kind people (like you) :)

Isn't that the latest version for that AP? I thought to downgrade to the Autonomous mode you would use an older version. Thanks.

Hi Aaron,

There is no restriction when converting back to IOS. Just don't use a "jx" image which is an LWAPP Recovery image :) If you are unconfortable with that image you could go with an older one like 12.4(3)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Great, thanks for all the info guys.

So I downloaded the file and renamed it per the instructions but I continue to get this error

image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/c1130-k9w7-tar.default

examining image...Tar checksum error in fd 0

ERROR: Failed to extract from archive file tftp://255.255.255.255/c1130-k9w7-tar.default

Loading "flash:/c1130-rcvk9w8-mx/c1130-rcvk9w8-mx"...###################################################################

######################################################################################################

File "flash:/c1130-rcvk9w8-mx/c1130-rcvk9w8-mx" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000

executing...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Aaron,

What image did you try? This line

Loading "flash:/c1130-rcvk9w8-mx/c1130-rcvk9w8-mx

Looks like a LWAPP recovery image

Rob

I got it working now, I made the mistake of extracting the files and using just the single file inside the Tar with the name I was looking for so now that I just renamed the whole Tar file it's upgrading now. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: