Views
Helpful
Replies

Lighweight AP and Cisco Catalyst

nizar.houichi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to bild a wireless network with a WLC 2106 and 5 Lighweight AP 1121G. I woud like to have multiple SSID and multiple Vlan on each AP. I would like to khnow how i must configure switch port attached to Lighweight APs: access port or trunk port.

And thank you very much

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lightweight access points actually tunnel all of their traffic via an LWAPP tunnel to the controller. This is why it's necessary to establish a trunk link to the controller. It's also why your controller will need a L3 interface for each VLAN you'll be extending to access points.

It doesn't matter what VLAN the access points are on, but if they aren't on the same VLAN as the controller management interface then you'll need to use DNS or DHCP option 43 to give the access points the controller address. If they're on the same VLAN, they'll find the controller via broadcast.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You'll configure trunks ports to the controller and access ports to the access points.

Have fun building your network!

thank you for replying. another question please: when i configure switch port as access : how traffic of other VLAN will transit over access port.

thank you

Lightweight access points actually tunnel all of their traffic via an LWAPP tunnel to the controller. This is why it's necessary to establish a trunk link to the controller. It's also why your controller will need a L3 interface for each VLAN you'll be extending to access points.

It doesn't matter what VLAN the access points are on, but if they aren't on the same VLAN as the controller management interface then you'll need to use DNS or DHCP option 43 to give the access points the controller address. If they're on the same VLAN, they'll find the controller via broadcast.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card