cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to capture spoke to spoke VPN traffic on ASA

oldcreek12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am debugging intermittent hairpin VPN traffic between EZVPN clients, ASA 5520 is ezvpn server. I am trying to determine where the packet is dropped.

From one client continuous ping to the other client is issued, the ping packets should go to ASA's outside interface, decrypted and encrypted and again be sent out the same outside interface. When I do capture for the ping packets on ASA's outside interface, nothing is captured even when ping is successful.

ping capture from ezvpn client to ASA inside network is fine.

How should I do packet capture in this VPN hairpin scenario? Thanks a lot for your help.

4 Replies 4

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the access-list you are using to capture on the outside interface?

Regards

Farrukh

EZVPN client is running at network extension mode, each user is using 172.16.0.0/28 address space, so the ACL I am using is something like this: access-list ping_acl extended permit icmp host 172.16.0.1 host 172.16.0.17

Try the following:

access-list ping_acl extended permit icmp host 172.16.0.1 host 172.16.0.17 log

access-list ping_acl extended permit icmp host 172.16.0.17 host 172.16.0.1 log

See if you get hits in the log (besides the capture).

Also make sure you clear the VPN sessions/connections before testing, an easy way would be

clear local-host all

clear crypto isakmp sa

clear crypto ipsec sa

Regards

Farrukh

Thank you for your help, unfortunately this is not a lab environment, I can not do any of those clear commands unless a maintenance window is scheduled.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card