Views
Helpful
Replies

Is SSO only for same chassis ?

new_networker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If SSO can only used for redundancy between SUPs on same chassis, what redundancy protocol is available for dual chassis.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello New,

as in the other thread

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1054565

SSO can be used with VSS

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ok.

1. For load balancing, if I use GLBP how is the stateful information exchanged between SUPs on two Cat 6500s.

2. How can I achieve configuration synchronization between SUPs on two chassis without VSS.

thanks.

Hello New,

be aware as explained in other threads that IOS image for VSS require advanced ip services or more image type.

So some of your issues can come from trying to setup VSS with an ipbase image.

check image name with sh ver

1) GLBP info is exchanged over the vlan to which the GLBP instance is configured for example vlan 10.

If you have ten GLBP groups all of them send and receives GLBP packets over the ten vlans via a L2 trunk between the two chassis

If you are able to use the VSS you probably don't need GLBP, however if your only target is load-balancing and redundancy on client vlans I would consider using multiple GLBP groups instead of VSS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

there is no such thing as SSO on two separate 6500 that are not set up as a VSS switching system. so you would not be able to get any configuration sync between two separate 6500 switches unless they are configured for VSS, this would also mean that you would not get SSO running between the two 6500.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card