Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch bandwidth/utilization

Greetings,

We are in the process of implementing a security appliance internal to our network. We have keymarked several servers whose traffic the device will listen to passively. In order to properly size the appliance, our vendor has asked for bandwidth numbers. All of these servers are located on a single switch (a 48-port 10/100/1000 Catalyst 3560). Overall switch utilization is pretty low. I've seen overall switch utilization, but how would I find out bandwidth on a switch port?

Thanks,

Chris

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

if you have telnet access to the switch

use

show interface g0/x

there are load parameters expressed as x/255

with 255/255 means full used

1/255 means empty

there is one for input and one for output

You can also check the byte counters for input and output packets and doing the command evey hour you can build a baseline.

the handy tool for this kind of data are tools like MRTG that uses SNMP queries to build traffic graphs that can be showed in a web page

see

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/download.en.html

this can be useful not only for providing this answer

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"show controllers utilization" will give you bandwidth utilization for each port and for the switch fabric itself . Easiest way to look at all ports , one of my favorite commands . This is only valid on fixed config switches like the 3560 , 3750, 2950,2960 etc... wish they would put this in all their switches.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

if you have telnet access to the switch

use

show interface g0/x

there are load parameters expressed as x/255

with 255/255 means full used

1/255 means empty

there is one for input and one for output

You can also check the byte counters for input and output packets and doing the command evey hour you can build a baseline.

the handy tool for this kind of data are tools like MRTG that uses SNMP queries to build traffic graphs that can be showed in a web page

see

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/download.en.html

this can be useful not only for providing this answer

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks, Giuslar!

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"show controllers utilization" will give you bandwidth utilization for each port and for the switch fabric itself . Easiest way to look at all ports , one of my favorite commands . This is only valid on fixed config switches like the 3560 , 3750, 2950,2960 etc... wish they would put this in all their switches.

Thanks, Glen!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: