Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN is created only by dlink normal switch

myself_mks
Level 1
Level 1

HI all professionals.

In my company all the network is created by cascading the normal 12 or 24 ports switches.For around 150 computers, is it the right way to create a network. Or we need to change something in this for make it better.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Munish,

Ideally no - this is not a good way of doing it, as you are creating 1 very large broadcast domain, which can be counter-productive.

I would suggest you consider actuallu purchasing "Switches" and consider a 3 layer model:-

Access (users connect to this)

|

Distribution (the access layer switches are aggregated here - & possibly some dynamic routing)

|

Core (where everything comes to, perhaps you just have layer 3 interfaces here)

I suggest you read the below design guides to get an idea of what you can do!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns742/networking_solutions_program_category_home.html

HTH>

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Munish,

Ideally no - this is not a good way of doing it, as you are creating 1 very large broadcast domain, which can be counter-productive.

I would suggest you consider actuallu purchasing "Switches" and consider a 3 layer model:-

Access (users connect to this)

|

Distribution (the access layer switches are aggregated here - & possibly some dynamic routing)

|

Core (where everything comes to, perhaps you just have layer 3 interfaces here)

I suggest you read the below design guides to get an idea of what you can do!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns742/networking_solutions_program_category_home.html

HTH>

Sir,

Thanx, For the support .Iam working in PANASONIC

production Plant THIS company has just joined with ANCHOR electrical Pvt. Ltd. in INDIA pasnasonic is a japanese company. ANd my role is to improve the network better.

The I would suggest you look at switches, not hubs. You should also look at a more organised layer2/physical architecture.

You should be providing High Availability/failver paths also.

HTH>

sirdudesly
Level 2
Level 2

Segmentation is your friend, minimize broadcast domains and reduce points of failure. 150 computers cascaded is asking for one big headache.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Much depends on what you mean by "cascading". If you wire the switches with a root switch and as a flat broad tree, not daisy chained, 150 hosts shouldn't normally be an issue. If possible, keep high traffic hosts, e.g. servers, as high in the tree as possible, ideally the root.

If you mean "cascading" with something like a 3750's special stack cable, that's should be okay too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: