cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Couldn't find the devices in my ciscoworks

riko.arizona
Level 1
Level 1

ESS Monitor running normally, with message "ESS is fully up now". But in DFM status, some devices are learning and questioned. Before this everything is OK, I have 800 devices, suddenly only 2 device with status known. I tried to fix (rediscover), right know there are 9 device questioned and 5 learning. There is some devices in status lerning/questioned. But I couldn't find the devices in my ciscoworks. How it could be?

17 Replies 17

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of DFM is this? Is this LMS server integrated with ACS?

My LMS version is 3.0 Yes this LMS server integrated with ACS

Before doing anything else, you'll want to upgrade to LMS 3.0.1 then DFM 3.0.3. This will fix a known bug where devices may hang at 10%. After that, there is one other patch on Cisco.com you will need to apply to prevent your devices from hanging at 40% or slipping into a Questioned state.

LMS 3.0.1 can be downloaded from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/lms301 . DFM 3.0.3 can be obtained from Common Services > Software Center > Software Update once you have LMS 3.0.1 installed. The final patch you'll need to apply is for CSCsi01966, and it can be downloaded from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-dfm .

"This will fix a known bug where devices may hang at 10%". Cisco device hang or device lists may hang in LMS?

Devices may hang in a learning state at 10% within DFM prior to DFM 3.0.3.

When I want to upgrade to DFM 3.0.3, is it will impact to production devices?

I still confused about your statement, devices may hang in a learning state. What kind of devices? devices in DFM list or cisco devices (appliances)?

No, the upgrade will not have an impact on production devices. DFM 3.0.3 is a bug fix and new device support release.

Within DFM, devices can be in either a Known, Learning, Questioned, or Pending state. There is a bug in all versions of DFM 3.0 prior to 3.0.3 where devices do not go into a Known state. Instead, they hang in Learning. If you go to DFM > Device Management > Rediscover/Delete, the discovery progress is stopped at 10%.

On top of that, there is another bug (still present in 3.0.3, but fixed with a patch) where devices may hang at 40%, or drop into a Questioned state.

You said the upgrade will not have an impact on production devices, how about the ACS? Because my LMS Server has integrated to ACS. Any impact with ACS?

How long that upgrade process take a time? If I upgrade the LMS, how about the other LMS element (CM, DFM, CS, RME), still running with existing configuration?

There will be an impact on the LMS tasks registered with ACS. The LMS 3.0.1 upgrade does add some new tasks, so these will need to be reregistered with ACS. The upgrade can take up to about two hours depending on whether or not you choose to install the new Health and Utilization Monitor add-on, and the specs on the server. While the upgrade is running, all applications will be unusable.

How about user profile in LMS, is it changed? and how about topology, should I rebuild again or the topology still like existing configuration?

The user profiles and Topology should remain the same.

I Have upgrade from LMS 3.0 to LMS 3.0.1. When Installation process, I didn't choose register aplication with ACS Server. That's why I can't access Discover device page from CS Menu. I want to register with ACS now, how to do it? Should I click CiscoWorks_LMS_3.0_Dec_2007_Update.exe again and for the ACS Mode, I choose "Yes"?

No. You can simply go to Common Services > Server > Security > AAA Mode Setup, and check the box to register all installed applications, then re-integrate with ACS.

How about the devices in ACS, should I re-input one by one? or just check the box to register all installed applications

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco