cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp poll on the number of LAPs join WLC

happy12345
Level 1
Level 1

We have deployed Lightweight AP with WLC. But we do not purchase WCS. Is there a way to snmp poll the WLC to obtain the number of LAPs joined to the WLC? If so, what is the snmp OID to poll?

Thanks for the help

7 Replies 7

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, it can be done in Cacti. I have attached a picture of an aggregate graph that shows the radio associations for all the controllers. In the picture, the graph is stable, if a controller were to go down, the graph would change.

Hi Eric,

I would like to do the same as happy12345. I am in the process of writing a script that will give me a listing of the AP's associated with a WLC and I need to tell my script the limit of the 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.13 OID.

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Eric and Aaron,

Not sure if you guys can post your scripts so that we can learn from them on how to get those AP number and getting them plot in mrtg.

Thanks

Do you still need this info happy12345? As I could post something a explain it. Are you using linux/unix?

I am using mrtg in linux. appreciate if you could post how u did this

Sorry had a busy few days and neglected to check the post.

Well to test things out you could just issue the following command.

echo -n "Controller 1: " && /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v3 -u SNMPV3 -l authPriv -a SHA -A yourpwhere -x DES -X yourpwhere 10.x.x.4 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1.3

echo -n "Controller 2: " && /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v3 -u SNMPV3 -l authPriv -a SHA -A yourpwhere -x DES -X yourpwhere 10.x.x.6 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1.3

echo -n "Controller 3: " && /usr/bin/snmpwalk -v3 -u SNMPV3 -l authPriv -a SHA -A yourpwhere -x DES -X yourpwhere 10.x.x.8 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1.3

In my example Im using snmpv3 but its just as easy to use v2c. Now this will list all the ap's associated to the wlc. If you want a numerical value just pipe it by adding "| wc -l" to the end. Once you have this working you can just dump the values into a file and have mrtg read the values from each controller but it depends on your setup and if you are trying to integrate it to anything fancy but I could probably help you.

Here is a simple MRTG script that will give an AP count per controller. You can modify as you prefer

#!/usr/bin/perl

#Author: Eric Garnel

##########################################################

# insert gnu license here

###############################################################

#

# instructions

# change the ip addresses below to suite your controller & snmp values

#

# show apcount

#

$apcount = `echo -n "Controller 1: " && snmpwalk -v2c -c public 111.666.222.3 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1.3 | wc -l`;

$apcount =~ s/ +//;

chop($apcount);

print("$apcount\n");

print "0\n";

print "0\n";

print "0\n";

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: