cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is difference between using SIP/SPA vs. Line card?

favaparsCO
Level 1
Level 1

When using SPA with SIP for implementing Router Interfaces we can reduce cost of investments, but what can be lost when using this model in comparison with using Line Cards.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm assuming you are only referring to the GigabitEthernet SPAs and not the POS/ATM SPAs since those won't be a fair comparison w/ regular line cards.

As for the Giga SPAs, the main difference is the superior implementation of QoS in this hardware. You are very limited w/ QoS while using the regular line cards since they rely on the PFC QoS.

Other features are discussed on this article:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/shared_port_adapters/configuration/6500series/76oveth.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

I can use "Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet SPA" with "Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series SIP-601" for implementing a 10GE ethernt, but is also possible to use a "Cisco 12000 Series 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet Line Card" for this purpose. The problem is that what I loose when using Ethernet Line Card from point of QoS, Switching performance, etc.?

Thanks

The problem is that what I loose when using Ethernet Line Card from point of QoS, Switching performance, etc.?

I'm not familiar with the XR 12k line so I can't comment on that but with the 6500/7600 line, you are unable to shape egress traffic with the regular line cards. In many implementations, this can be a deal breaker.

__

Edison.

so that, there is no disadvantage in using SIP/SPA (6500/7600) instead of

regular Ethernet line card.

are there any documents that compare the performance and features of these two solutions(SPA/SIP and regular line card)?

Thanks

There isn't a document discussing its differences but each module has its own document discussing its features.

I already provided the document for the SIP/SPA line cards and you will need to select the module in question from the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/index.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco