Views
Helpful
Replies

NFS routing issues

info_rrsb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello;

I have a pretty standard config of 2 redundant 6509E (Sup720) switches both running HSRP successfully, Core1 being the active router. I have a 3750E stack linked to Core1 using a 20GB eitherchannel to which I have a win server connected on vlan1. On Core2 I have a 3750 stack linked using a 2GB etherchannel, to which I have a sun server attached (vlan 2). My problem is when I try to copy from sun server to win server using Client for NFS, I receive errors or very intermittent data transfer, usually failing. My legacy 6509 switch running CATOS had no problems transferring but when I upgraded to my new 6509Es I started having the issues. I'm assuming the issue is with routing udp cause I have no other routing issues infact I am successfully routing udp used by other applications.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Joey

1 Reply 1

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

This problem occurs due to output buffer problems. NFS file transfers that come from a Gigabit attached server that uses user datagram protocol (UDP) with a 32K window size is one example of an application setting that can bring out this type of problem. If you have checked or tried the other suggestions in this document (checked speed/duplex, no physical errors on the link, all the traffic is normal valid traffic, and so on), then reducing the unit size that is sent by the application can help alleviate this problem.

For further information click this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfd6.shtml#pingin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card