cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interesting design issue on CCM locations..Pls help....

araffill
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a main office and 2 branch offices. All 3 offices are connected via MPLS.

Both the main office and the branch office have CCM clusters and have Inter cluster trunks configured for each other.

The main office WAN connection permits a total of 8 simultaneous calls.

Currently, in the main office CCM, we have configured 2 locations (1 each for the branch office trunk) and have assigned bandwidth for 4 calls to each location.

If there are 5 simultaneous calls to Branch Office 1, only the first 4 go via the WAN. The fifth calls goes via the PSTN (though the WAN can accomodate 4 more calls and there are no calls from main office to the Branch office2).

Because we have configured 2 locations in CCM for each branch office and have assigned the bandwidth of 4 calls each to the brach offices, we are not able to fully utilize the WAN bandwidth.

I have been asked to maximize the WAN utilization.

I am thinking of creating a single location and assigning the same location to both branch office trunks. In this case, both the branch office trunks will jointly share the total bandwidth of 8 calls.

I will also be asked to report on the number of simultaneous calls from main office to each branch office.

When I use the same location for both the branch office trunks, I will be able to maximize the WAN bandwidth, but I will not be able to report on the number of simultaneous calls from main office to each branch office.

Can you please suggest if there is any way to maximize the WAN usage and also do the reporting?

Many Thanks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shell99101
Level 1
Level 1

Main Site Cluster Configuration

1. Create a location for the main site and set the audio bandwidth to 200

2. Create a location for the inter cluster trunk and set the audio bandwidth to unlimited

3. Assign the main site location to the device pools that are being used for phones at the main site.

4. Assign the inter cluster trunk location to the inter cluster trunks.

Branch Office 1 Cluster Configuration

1. Create a location for branch office 1 and set the audio bandwidth to 200

2. Create a location for the inter cluster trunk and set the audio bandwidth to unlimited

3. Assign the branch office 1 location to the device pools that are being used for phones at the branch office 1.

Branch Office 2 Cluster Configuration

3. Assign the branch office 2 location to the device pools that are being used for phones at the branch office 2.

Each cluster maintains location information for the phones that register locally. An example on how this works is when a phone at the main site calls a phone at one of the branch sites, the location bandwidth deduction for each cluster would be triggered due to the call is being setup from one location to another due to the call would be crossing the inter cluster trunk and since the local site and the ICT uses different locations, each would be deducted from. Once the call comes in to the other cluster it to would do the same thing based on the same principles. Now that both clusters have properly deducted a phone call from the local sites location, this would properly control the amount of phone calls you want to happen between these locations. No matter if you use 1 or 2 ICT trunks, the end result will be the same due to the deduction that matters is based on the local sites location and not the ICT location. By default the local site location does not have anything to do with calls within the same site, it only applies when devices try to setup a call between each other and belong to separate locations. As for your reporting, this can be done by pulling reports on ICT individually.

I hope I explained this well enough. If not, you can read this in the CallManager SRND's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns818/networking_solutions_program_home.html

Thanks,

Mike Shelley

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So, how many CM clusters do you have 2 or 3?

Are they seperate clusters or just local subscribers at the remote locations?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Tx a lot for pitching in. :-)

We have 3 CCM clusters. 1 at the main office and 1 each at the branch offices.

They are separate clusters with ICT configured between each.

Many Thanks

Hi Chris and Guys,

Am waiting for your inputs..Can u pls help me with your inputs?

Many Thanks..

shell99101
Level 1
Level 1

Main Site Cluster Configuration

1. Create a location for the main site and set the audio bandwidth to 200

3. Assign the main site location to the device pools that are being used for phones at the main site.

Branch Office 1 Cluster Configuration

3. Assign the branch office 1 location to the device pools that are being used for phones at the branch office 1.

Branch Office 2 Cluster Configuration

3. Assign the branch office 2 location to the device pools that are being used for phones at the branch office 2.

Each cluster maintains location information for the phones that register locally. An example on how this works is when a phone at the main site calls a phone at one of the branch sites, the location bandwidth deduction for each cluster would be triggered due to the call is being setup from one location to another due to the call would be crossing the inter cluster trunk and since the local site and the ICT uses different locations, each would be deducted from. Once the call comes in to the other cluster it to would do the same thing based on the same principles. Now that both clusters have properly deducted a phone call from the local sites location, this would properly control the amount of phone calls you want to happen between these locations. No matter if you use 1 or 2 ICT trunks, the end result will be the same due to the deduction that matters is based on the local sites location and not the ICT location. By default the local site location does not have anything to do with calls within the same site, it only applies when devices try to setup a call between each other and belong to separate locations. As for your reporting, this can be done by pulling reports on ICT individually.

I hope I explained this well enough. If not, you can read this in the CallManager SRND's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns818/networking_solutions_program_home.html

Thanks,

Mike Shelley

Hi Mike Shelley,

Hearty Thanks for your brilliant post.

Apologies for the late reply.

I was away on a long winter vacation.

Your solution is absolutely brilliant...

FYI, I had raised the same issue with our third party technical support provider and they had no idea how to do it.

Hats off to you..

Many Thanks again...

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: