Views
Helpful
Replies

Router VLAN support

elias.manchon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks!!,

I have a switch with VLAN support and I'd like to segment my LANS with two different VLANs. I'm going to buy two routers cisco, one for each vlans, to give ADLS service. But I want this issue separated. My question is: Do I need to adquire this routers with VLAN support?, or for example with a cisco 857 is enough.

To remember: I don't need routing Ip paquets between VLANs, but I need the VLAN to segment the LANs by security reason.

Thanks in advance!!.

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From what you defined, your routers don't need to support VLANs. Just connect them to the correct VLAN ports as any other host.

Davy Ad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Elias,

I dont see why you want to use router , you can use switches to segment it .

Example

(Main SW)

/ \

VLAN1 VLAN2

/ \

/ \

SW1 SW2

Hope this is what you want

HTH

DAK

Hi Dave,

I don't need a router to segment it, but I need this one to give ADSL service.

Thanks

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

I would suggest just getting 1 switch and 1 router and run "router on a stick" between the switch and router to provide the layer 3 functionality between the vlans on the switch. Then I would also include an ADSL card for the router.

HTH,

Brandon

If you don't need routing between the VLANs for security purposes just setup an ACL between the vlans to restrict traffic.

HTH,

Brandon

Ok, you have reason for all. It's the optimum setup, but the problem is that I have hired a VPN by MPLS with my ISP and they don't want that the client operates the router configuration. For this reason, I'm obliged to separete the two ADSL service.

Thanks.

In that case put the ACL on the switch you do have control over to filter traffic between vlans.

HTH,

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card