cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending Wireless Connection 600ft?

ehunt3232
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cable internet connection in bldg 1 where we have a wirelss internet connection (on a linksys wrt54g)set up for our customers for free public access. I have another computer in bldg2 which is about 600 feet away with clear access no trees nothing. I cannot run cable underground or on telephone poles I want to use the wireless internet connection for bldg2 so my big question is how can I expand my wireless signal to reach bldg 2 and be strong ?? What routers do you recommend to upgrade my existing router? Should I go to the new N technology ? Also what antennas do you recommend?Thanks for your help and input ahead of time !!

Ehunt32

3 Replies 3

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Well, understand first that you can't simply extend your little LinkSys's signal to the next building. You're going to have to establish a wireless point-to-point bridge, which will then connect to additional equipment over in your next building over.

For such a short link, you should get a couple of Cisco 1310 bridges (AIR-BR1310G-A-K9). These have built-in antennas, so there's no need to worry about getting antennas installed. Mount these on the roofs of your buildings, probably on a non-penetrating roof mount. You'll run a connection off of the remote 1310G bridge to a switch of some kind, and then have another LinkSys (or preferably a Cisco AP) hanging off of it.

Sadly, there are no 802.11n bridges in existence yet. However, if you want to explore a Cisco 802.11n AP instead of the LinkSys, look for the AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9. This access point is a great one that performs 802.11n.

I hope this helps!

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

A range of 600 feet through building walls is exceeding reasonable expectations while remaining under FCC regulations. I would do a point to point bridge and allow that to feed an access point in bldg 2 or switched network connections. Understand that bridging is a best effort network as it depends heavily on good rf conditions. Rain, snow, and physical obstructions moving around between the bridges will cause fluctuations of throughput.

As Dennis mentioned, that is a far shot. You might as well get a dsl connection in the other building if you are looking for a cheap solution.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card