Helpful
Replies

How To Connect two different Networks using Dial up

tomocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

Can someone help me with this.

We want to link our Head Office to one of our Branch. We used Radio Links in connect the Head Office to our other Branch Offices, but this particular Branch Office is too far for us to use a Radio link connection.

We are now contemplating using a Telecom company that provides Voice/data services. (Our interest in only in the Data service).

For this, we intend to procure a Dial Up Modem with Ethernet port which we can connect to the router.

We use 2800 series router at the Head Office.

My problem now is:

Do we need to install extra interface on the router or can we use sub interface?

Can someone help me with a sample configuration for Dial Up connection?

What is Dial on Demand Routing and when can I use it?

What does it mean to use Tunnels for my network, will it be applicable here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

1 Reply 1

shillyar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

sounds like your talking about just doing DDR through the AUX port with a 56k modem.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094579.shtml

Tunnel could mean a VPN tunnel or another would be your data would tunneled across your dialer up during the back up with tunnel interfaces. I have never tunnel data through a modem as I'D assume it would be very slow since its only 56K.

So I think your bigger issue is how much traffic will need to go across the modem during the back up. If you have multiple async port on the 2800 you can always add multiple modems and bundle them together like MLP.

1 modem on the aux will work fine just remember its only 56K so things will be real slow if there alot of traffic that need to get across.

Thx Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card