Wireless Profiles not advertised

Unanswered Question
Oct 23rd, 2008
User Badges:

I have two 4402-50 controllers that will server upto 45 APs. The install and implementation has just begun. The controllers have three SSID's (in separate VLANs) configured. I was able to see and connect to all the profiles. I decided to change tha allowed VLANs on the trunk from switch to controllers. I only allowed the three SSID vlans and the management VLAN. Once I did that, I could not see the three SSID in available networks on the client. I then undid the switch configuration but to no success. I rebooted 5 APs (only 5 APs are installed and running yet and others are bring installed) and I could see the SSIDs available as wireless networks on the client. Few questions:

1. Was I wrong in prunning the VLANs to only allow the management VLAN and the three wireless profile VLANs between the switch and controller? I thought that is the only significant traffic for the controllers.

2. If I misconfigured something on the switch trunk ports that resulted in the WLAN interfaces on the controller to go down, then it makes sense that profiles were no longer available. But when the things were corrected on the switch, the profiles did not become available till I rebooted the APs. If the WLAN interfaces on the controller were back up and running, should not it have pushed that to APs as available profiles? I did wait for an hour after undoing the switch trunk port configuration before I rebooted the APs.

Let me know what additional information I can provide.

Thanks,

Gill

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
smahbub Fri, 10/31/2008 - 12:34
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

prunning the VLANs is a good practise to be followed and there is nothing wrong in doing the same.Allowing the three SSID vlans and the management VLAN is enough for the device to work fine and changes that yoy have done as per your explanation will not affect the working of the device.Also rebooting the AP will just fetch the available onfiguration from the controller.Can you provide the logs for the events you have explained which will be helpful in identifying the exact reason for the issue.

Actions

This Discussion