"Compiled Tue 24-Jun-97 12:22 by "someone"

I need to change "someone" to my name

Thanks

4 Replies 4

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no way to change that information.

Regards,

Arul

*Pls rate if it helps*

sirdudesly
Level 2
Level 2

um why?

You didn't compile IOS, all that name is is the person who did.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Just use a Hex Editor like WinHex, EditPad or similar) and do an ASCII search for the string containing the name of the person that did the compile, substitute whatever you want.

It's pretty basic stuff (unless they've hidden it in code or something...doesn't seem likely).

Good Luck

Scott

That might work although some possible issues might be:

1) IOS images are often compressed, so you would first need to decompress the image

2) text strings are usually stored one of two ways, either text followed by a terminator (C style) or with an explicit string length variable (sometimes within a machine instruction). If the latter, if your replacement string is shorter, you'll need to pad the string end with space, which will likely also display. For either, if your replacement string is longer, for the former storage method it will likely overlay what ever is next in the image, if the latter, it too could overlay what's next or it might be safely stored but truncated when displayed (unless you can also adjust the string length variable)

3) IOS images might carry a verification hash, so it's possible any change to an image might result in the system rejecting it as corrupted

4) lastly, I'm unsure, but legally you don't own an IOS image, so changing it any way is likely to be a license violation. If you're doing something like 3rd party support, or even for internal company production images, I would advise against trying to "brand" IOS images you're supporting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco