cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1812 router access timeout seting

lleelrecluse
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem where terminals "timeout" from internet access. on our lan. The software we use for our inhouse service accounting sales,etc is on a remote server accessed over the internet. we use a Cisco 1812 router. If the connection is not accessed for a short time. The log on session times out. (aprox 20 min of non use) The software company says the router is cutting of the session. They claim their system does not timeout unles no use for 4 hours. I contacted the company that we had install the router from and the "tech" (and I use the term loosely) seemed to not know what I was talking about.

Am I going the wrong way or is there such a setting in my router that can be changed, and I need to find another "tech"

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is your router acting as a firewall ?. If so then yes there could be a timeout issue going on.

If it is just acting as a router then no it will not be timing out the connection because it has no concept of the state of the connection, it merely routes each individual packet from the source to the destination IP addresses.

If you do have a firewall on the 1812 and are running it you will have a lot of "ip inspect .." lines in your config.

Jon

You could also try in global config mode:

service tcp-keepalives-out

service tcp-keepalives-in

Do you have a tunnel to this other location? If so, you can also try:

crypto isakmp keepalive 10 periodic

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

It Is NOT acting as a firewall that I know of but It is a good question to ask our "tech". I did find out that the remote access server needs a percistent connection. so maybe It is droping out our service.

Can you post your config?

I do not have access to the configuration. I am an auto parts guy with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I am also the only one with the patience to try and do anything. I have a laptop that I can try to access the config But I do not know any password and such.

If it's not acting as a firewall then it looks to be a server/client issue. The service tcp-keepalives is as far as i know only relevant to tcp connections initiated to and from the router not through it.

Edit - John makes a good point in that it could be using IPSEC connectivity. Do you know whether it is or not ?

Jon

Wait....I had to reread this:

"The software we use for our inhouse service accounting sales,etc is on a remote server accessed over the INTERNET".

Is this a webpage that you're accessing?

"If the connection is not accessed for a short time. The log on session times out. (aprox 20 min of non use)"

If it's a webpage, their webserver is probably timing your session out. It would be a situation on their end, and it's nothing you can fix from yours if that's the case. Like Jon said, it's a server/client issue.

--John

It is a web based system But It is Remote access not a Web page I think.

"Remote access" means a lot of things :-)

What application are they using to access it? Is it an application that the software developers provided, Internet Explorer, Remote Desktop (RDP), etc. A lot of different applications have their own timeout settings, and if it's set to cut idle sessions out at 20 minutes, then you should probably look in the software.

It is developer provided softwate. It appears in a Explorer window but, ADP say it is set to a 4hr non use logoff. IF there server does not see activity in that time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco