cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SSIDs on a single VLAN

wynneit
Level 1
Level 1

I dont think its possible but I vaguely recall seeing a document stating that it is poosible to have two SSIDs on a single VLAN.

If so can they also have two different authentication methods

19 Replies 19

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Well, yes and no!

If you're running lightweight, then yes, you can have multiple SSIDs pointing to a single VLAN.

If you're running autonomous, the answer is no. You can only have one SSID mapped to each VLAN.

To answer your second question. Yes, you can have two different authentication methods. We often do this when we have older clients that don't support WPA2 being replace by newer devices that do support WPA2. Please remember not to go crazy with this as every SSID you create involves more RF broadcast traffic because the SSID is advertised. Of course you could just not broadcast the SSID which will reduce some of the traffic but not all.

Actually you can also do this on autonomous. Put the separate wireless sub-interfaces into the same bridge group.

We ran like this for a while whilst migrating from Dynamic-WEP to WPA. However it's not something I've seen documented anywhere, so it's not likely to be supported. But it did work.

I'm looking to implement a similar setup so we can migrate from our wep environment to wpa2. The catch is that I need to be able to keep running my wep ssid and setup the wpa2-psk ssid so my newer clients can connect to it, whilst letting my older clients still connect to the wep ssid.

Anyways, my question is; would you be so kind as to provide an example configuration of how you implemented your single vlan with multiple ssids?

Hi Everyone. I just wanted to add my experience with two ssids on the same vlan with autonomous AP's. I was able to use two ssids on one vlan, but they used the same encryption key (40bit wep). If the keys were different then it would not work. Also, I think the AP barks at you if vlan tagging is enabled. I remember doing this with the AP flat, so it had an ip address on the vlan out of the dhcp range and dot1q tagging disabled. This was typically really only for old school sites that didn't have vlans, so of course if you have the vlan support then I'd recommend to simply add another vlan to your switches if you need another ssid.

sylvaing1
Level 1
Level 1

I have two SSID on one vlan. I actually have the same two SSID on different AP Groups with each AP group attached to an interface (vlan). One SSSID is using WPA2/WebAuth and the other just WebAuth authentication.

Hi All,

I am looking for how to configure multiple SSIDs on same VLAN. Would you mind explaining me more about it or could you please provide me an example of configuration?

Thank you very much,

Nitass

I'm assuming you're referring to a non-autonomous via WLC configuration, correct?

Hi,

No, it's autonomous ap.

Thanks,

Nitass

Interesting! Would you mind posting an example config of your AP on how you accomplished it?

thanks,

Chad

Hi,

Actually, I am looking for it too. Anyway, I have got some information from another conversation but I have not yet tested it. Hope it would be helpful for you.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=General&topicID=.ee6e8b8&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc28760

Happy New Year :-)

Nitass

Very good info! I will get to work on it in my lab and see if I can get it to work based on the example config from the forum link you posted. Thanks again for the info!

Welcome. Would you mind also updating me the testing result?

Thanks,

Nitass

For sure. I will post my configuration if I can get it to work correctly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: