cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP vs HSRP

darrenriley5
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any disadvantages of using GLBP over HSRP. Presently we use HSRP in our core switches but I would like to load-balance the vlan usage across each switch core more effectivley using GLBP.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren

Not really no. I think it's often more to do with that more people are familiar with HSRP than GLBP.

GLBP can lead to asymmetric routing but in most cases this is not a problem.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Only issue I've seen to date with GLBP has been some non-Cisco switch's management seem confused by GLBP although other hosts running thru the switches worked as expected.

Also note, when you move from HSRP to GLBP they use different virtual MACs so hosts with gateway MAC in ARP cache will be not find gateway until they re-ARP (unless converting virtual gateway sends a gratuitous ARP that the host processes).

abdel_n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Here is a brief description of the major differences between HSRP, VRRP and GLBP:

*- If you have exclusively Cisco devices then HSRP is your choice.

*- VRRP is the IEEE standard equivalent of HSRP (Cisco proprietary) and it is the first choice for interoperability.

VRRP differs slightly from HSRP:

- one “Master «is elected, “Active” for HSRP.

- one or more “backup” Routers against only one “standby” router for HSRP, hence the presence of “skew time” to organize their participation to the election.

- can use real IP address as the virtual IP.

- use 224.0.0.18, udp(112).

VRRP use the same concept of multiple group to achieve load sharing.

*- GLBP is a native First hop/gateway load balancer, therefore more optimal solution for gateway (first hop) loadbalancing than HSRP or VRRP if it is a particular concern for your network.

You will find in the attachment a more detailed comparison between these protocols

It depends on

1) Is your env al Cisco themn HSRP ,GLBP

if not interoperability is involved (different vendors_ then VRRP is your choice. I personally like GLBP in the alg used for loadbalancing you are limited in HSRP, and VRRP.hth

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card