Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS inline deployment options

des.mckee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone answer this basic question? I cant seem to find that much documentation on the inline modules.

Can you confirm whether or not devices can see each other on layer 2 across the two groups of an inline WAAS Ethernet module? i.e., if I have a router connected to the WAN of group 1 and another connected to the WAN of group 2, and the two routers are running HSRP (or even an ASA cluster), will they see each other correctly?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"As if they were directly connected to the switches." That would be the correct way to look at it. Group 1 and group 2 are completely separate and there is no routing or bridging between them.

Dan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The devices cannot see each other across the inline groups, only the device on the other interface in the inline group.

Traffic does not cross between group 0 and 1, it has to use a networking device like a switch to see the other device in your example.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Thanks for that. So if I had

Group1 = router1 - WAAS inline group1 - LAN switch

Group 2 = router2 - WAAS inline group2 - LAN switch

The routers would see each other through the WAAS and then the LAN switches (as if they were just connected to the switches), but wouldn't see each other directly across the WAAS module? Or you mean they don't see each other at all?

Cheers

"As if they were directly connected to the switches." That would be the correct way to look at it. Group 1 and group 2 are completely separate and there is no routing or bridging between them.

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: