cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE stats via SNMP

sdavids5670
Level 2
Level 2

How can I retrieve PoE info from a Cisco switch using SNMP?

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of switch running what version of code?

jim.reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Take a look at this MIB

CiscoPoePdMIB

OID:1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.414

This should explain more

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=CISCO-POE-PD-MIB

To answer the first question, the software version is IOS 12.2(25) SEE2. Switch model is 3560.

As for the CISCO-POE-PD-MIB, I've tried walking that tree and I get nothing back from the switch. SNMP is enabled on the switch and I'm getting info back from queries, just not from 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.414.

There is no PoE SNMP support in the image you are running. If you upgrade to 12.2(35)SE, you will have support for the POWER-ETHERNET-MIB and the CISCO-POWER-ETHERNET-EXT-MIB.

Thanks!

The origin of this question is that I have a client who is currently using Cisco Network Assistant to look at statistics for PoE Utilization. I'm wondering why he can see PoE Utilization via Cisco Network Assistant but I cannot see anything using SNMP on OIDs in POWER-ETHERNET-MIB and CISCO-POWER-ETHERNET-EXT-MIB. Does Cisco Network Assistant use something other than SNMP to glean this information?

Cisco Network Assistant does not use SNMP. It simply executes CLI commands on the device, and parses those.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco