cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp route summarization questions

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

If I do manual summarization on a single interface of a class b address, will eigrp still advertise my other class c networks out that interface? In other words, will summarization leave the rest of the routing table intact?

also, can I manually summarize on the real interfaces if I'm using hsrp?

thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Daryle,

EIGRP will send out the interface where the interface is configured the /16 and will suppress all subnets within the summary address IP block.

Other IP subnets out of the summary will not be affected.

Notice that if needed you can configure multiple summaries if needed.

HSRP config is not an issue and will be used by devices not running EIGRP (so I hope ) to provide a default gateway or a next hop for static routes.

Be aware that if the routers are two (HSRP implies this) if you configure the summary on only one router the other router will be preferred for destinations within the summary because it provides more specific routes

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Daryle,

EIGRP will send out the interface where the interface is configured the /16 and will suppress all subnets within the summary address IP block.

Other IP subnets out of the summary will not be affected.

Notice that if needed you can configure multiple summaries if needed.

HSRP config is not an issue and will be used by devices not running EIGRP (so I hope ) to provide a default gateway or a next hop for static routes.

Be aware that if the routers are two (HSRP implies this) if you configure the summary on only one router the other router will be preferred for destinations within the summary because it provides more specific routes

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks, that's how I was hoping it would work.

thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: