cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 memory utilization

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is memory utilization of 88% considered excessive ? It seems fairly stable at that level . Seems to vary up and down a little so it appears it is freeing memeory when it doesn't need it. We get monthly Vitalnet reports and this one seems to be on it all the time . It is a 6 stack 3750 setup running 12.2.35 SE1. Could not find anything in CCO that really pertained to what I'm seeing . Switchport utilization on the ports them selves is extremely low , fabric utilization is less than 1% .

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All of my stacks (4 switches) run between 32-37% utilization. They are running layer 2 only. Are you running any L3 services on them?

Yes layer 3 running EIGRP with probably a routing table with a couple hundred routes .

For comparison I have a 9 stack 3750 no L3 and I run 60% memory usage. We are planning to go L3 in the future.

So maybe its not abnormal if you see 60% without routing . It doesn't seem to be getting any worse .

Memory utilization is ok, but you should concious about CPU utilization.

I have 2 3750 stack switches in the Network and it use 30% of the Memory.

Switch cpu and link utilization is low across the board and has not been a problem . Its one of these scenarios where the customer buys all these tools to look at the network even though they have outsourced that area and we do not have those same tools to look at things . They think just because they have memory utilization a little high on some monthly report there is some percieved problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card