cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding switchports for a list of phones

David Wolgast
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of upgrading from CUCM 4.1(3) to 6.1(2), and while we are doing that, we are also splitting our single cluster into two to segregate traffic for our contact center per recommendation of Cisco and our UCCE implementation partner (also moving from ICM 6.0 - 7.2 and IPQM 3.5(4) - IP-IVR 5.0).

Unfortunately, our contact center and non-contact center users are mixed among our closet access switches (16 closets).

We have a list of 300-400 MAC addresses of contact center phones (those registered with the ICM JTAPI user), and need to search each closet stack to correlate those MACs with their associated switchport so we can change the VLANs for those ports to point to our new cluster.

Can anyone suggest any slick ways of getting this done? Anyone have any scripting they would be willing to share?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If I were faced with that, I would tackle with a very creative Excel spreadsheet. If you log your telnet session while you do a show arp, you can capture the MAC addresses in a text file and then import them into Excel. Use a vlookup funtion to check if each MAC address is in one list or the other.

I have in the past used Excel to generate router and switch configs when making massive changes like these, but that requires a great deal of creative Excel work.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

If I were faced with that, I would tackle with a very creative Excel spreadsheet. If you log your telnet session while you do a show arp, you can capture the MAC addresses in a text file and then import them into Excel. Use a vlookup funtion to check if each MAC address is in one list or the other.

I have in the past used Excel to generate router and switch configs when making massive changes like these, but that requires a great deal of creative Excel work.

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are using CiscoWorks LMS it has a IP Phone/User tracking feature built-in to it.

You can also make a script to logon to each switch and gather the show mac-address-table output. The show arp is not always useful because it could be that the host is not active at that moment (sending any IP traffic) and the grat. arp bit timed out. Also you won't find the arp entries on a L2 device like a closet switch (assuming switched access layer design). Once you have all the MACs in one file you can start searching.

There are other tools out there also which help you to track LAN users (Just do a google search if you wish to use one).

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: