cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I validate my fiber network?

larrydayge
Level 1
Level 1

How do I validate my fiber port cabling when using the following Cisco transceivers?

WS-C2950G-24-EI

GLC-SX-MM

GLC-LH-SM

I want to develop a test to prove the “Lines” are good, poor or ugly, poor meaning the cabling has problems, too much attenuation because of bad splices, etc.

I've found one document “OL-5067-05” that deals with Transmit Power, Receive Power and Power Budgeting for these GBIC and SFP modules. But how can I apply these values to my faculties, which is maintained by someone else? My faculties

are world wide and I'm wondering about "Marginal" installations that might happen.

3 Replies 3

michandrz
Level 1
Level 1

you could test all your lines with an OTDR (fancy term for fiber meeter) there a bit costly but a handy tool to have. I recommend the fluke DSP series but they have been retired and have a replacement out, sorry i cant recall the replacement model

An OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) Will tell you how long the fiber is, within a certain resolution (frequently to the closest meter, some will do half meter) ... and is useful for finding the approximate location of a break, or the length of the run.

For quality measurements, you'd use either a calibrated source and power meter and/or a Optical Spectrum Analyzer.

When the fiber is/was installed (if it was installed by a professional), they do a power measurement for the span and record & report it to the consumer.

With your own source & meter, you can compare the original reading to "what you got now" and determine if there is a significant degradation (dirt, crud, break, tight bend, etc).

With a spectrum analyzer, you can see how much spectral dispersion your span is producing and the basic quality of your pulse train / signal.

Sometimes several functions are integrated into a single device (JDSU does this, Fluke probably does too)

Another useful tools is a Visual Fault Locator, which puts a very bright red light down the fiber. When the light hits a break, it scatters the light and you see a red blip from the fiber's sheath.

Good Luck

Scott

Review the optical power characteristics of the optical transmitter and receiver in the Manual of the interfaces or equipment. Usually there is a RX power range (Minimum - Maximum). Connect a Power Meeter to the other end of the fiber and verify if the receiving power is within the range. If it is you are fine. I would recommend to use an attenuator to set the RX power to the middle of the range. Do the same thing for the other end.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card