Views
Helpful
Replies

UCM 6.1 Test Setup prior to Upgrade

VPMaharaj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Our CM cluster is a windows based 4.2 (sr1) = 1x PUB and 1 x SUB and we will soon be upgrading it to 6.1. For this we will have entirely new and separate Linux servers running 6.1 and I am setting up the 6.1's in a test environment first for testing purposes before the actual cutover. The 4.2's will be removed post-cutover. I am planning to give the 6.1's an ip address from the same subnet range as the existing (live) 4.2 PUB and SUB. My questions are:

1. would having the 4.2 (live) and the 6.1 (test) clusters on the same subnet pose a problem i.e can they co-exist simultaneously?

2. I understand that the administrator name cannot be changed without reinstalling the OS but can I change the 6.1's ip address and the server name's later on without re-installing the OS?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Sure, as long as they have different IP addresses, having them in the same subnet will not cause any issues

2. You can change the IP address, you cannot change the hostname, however you are able to change the hostname during the DMA upgrade if you desire.

Chris

Thanks Chris or the kind response.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vimal,

The Hostname change is now supported in CCM 6.1(2) but no previous versions of CCM as Chris nicely noted :)

Changing the Hostname of Cisco Unified Communications Manager Servers

Starting with this release (6.1(2)), you can change the hostname of the first node or any subsequent nodes in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster. You can only change the hostname of the first node from a subsequent node. The Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration user interface populates the hostname field on the Ethernet Configuration window and the Publisher Configuration window with the existing values. You can change the IP address or hostname of servers using the set network cluster publisher ip or set network cluster publisher hostname CLI commands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution Resetting the hostname will cause your system to reboot and you may lose connectivity with the first node and the network. Before attempting to change the hostname of a Cisco Unified Communications Manager server, refer to the Changing the IP Address and Host Name for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(2).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/6_1_2/cucm-rel_note-612.html#wp401012

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/6_1_2/ipchange/ipchg612.html#wp185050

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob for the update. I will use DMA to migrate data from the existing 4.2 to 6.1 and upload the respective licensing files etc and then migrate one of our sites say site A. This would imply that both the clusters will have the data for site A. For the two clusters to work simultaneously I understand that I will be creating a trunk between the two and manipulate RP's etc but how about the licensing? When I have uploaded the licensing files on the new cluster will site A on the new cluster and the other sites (on the old clusters) still function as expected or migrating all the sites at once is the best option to circumvent any licensing issues? The other item I need to consider is that currently 4.2 is not integrated to AD but we are planning to integrate 6.1 to AD.Would any user info migrated as part of the initial DMA file conflict with the AD integration?