cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940 at home?

czxm94
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway I can use a 7940 series phone in my home office? I have interent and my old phone is phone is serviced through my cable? Help?

7 Replies 7

Steffen.Baier
Level 1
Level 1

You can flash a SIP firmware on the Device and the either setup a server with @Steriks or try a provider like Sipgate or others.

You will need power over ethernet or an external powersupply to use the phone

Steffen

"flash a SIP firmware on the device?"

I don't understand what you mean, laymans terms?

Using a centralized CallManager or by itself? Without a CallManager, SIP is the only way to go. If you are connecting to our office's CCM, then we need to look at what kind of VPN you are using, if any, and how open your office network can be to voice.

Guys,

How does this actually work ? do you still need an analogue line for incoming calls but then use voip for outgoing calls. Why do you need a SIP provider. I am interested to learn more about SIP and this would be a great place to start. Any documentation also would be great.

Ok.. bottom line.. I have this phone that I want to use..

I have little techie knowledge..

So who do I call to set it up? I have concast cable phone service..

is it as simple as calling a service to set it all up?

Here is the problem: That Cisco 7940 is only part of an IP Telephony solution. It sounds like your goal is to use that 7940 as your home phone, to connect to the local telephone company so you can call your local pizza delivery company of choice. To do that, you still need a voice gateway, or some sort. A device that will take the IP packets that the 7940 creates and convert it into traditional voice channels and send it to the phone company. Comcast is providing that service for you, if you have their Digital Voice Service. However, Comcast, to the best of my knowledge, only works with the little convert boxes that they provide; the one that you plug a standard phone into. They do this because for support purposes; they need to limit the equipment that they need to deal with to only be equipment that they have tested and are familiar with.

So, if you were a techie and passionate about how this stuff worked, we could tell you know to setup your own voice gateway, with a local SIP server, and lots of cool features that no one ever uses. But for you, I suggest putting that phone on Ebay and getting a nice cordless phone.

thank you for the candid response. Your right on part of it. I work for an IT company out of my home. So I could really use the features on this phone. If someone could tell me in laymans terms how to set up the "SIP Server" I would do that. however, I dont even know what that means... but I would like to know, so I can use this phone! :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: