WLC 4404: Dynamic Power vs. Manual Power setting

Unanswered Question
Oct 26th, 2008
User Badges:

I want to just throw this question out to the forum and see what responses I get. Does anyone consider it unusual to use both the dynamic power settings along with manual power settings in a deployment? I have 160 ap's deployed and the dynamic settings work in some areas of the building but not so good in other areas. My own opinion is that the option to manually set the power on the ap's was built in to the controllers because Cisco knew they could not account for every type of building structure or floor design. Anyways, I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks in advance.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Sun, 10/26/2008 - 08:26
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

It is not unusual to either use RRM, have a mixed mode deployment or even manually setting the TX level. This depends really on end user experience. For some installs for example IP Phones, the manufacture might recommend a certain TX power level, in which you will manually set all the power levels. When it comes to a mixed environment, I think you must know your RF.... RRM can tweak an ap down to a certain TX power level, in which you can have coverage issues in certain spots... In this situation, you might manually set the TX power on that AP. This also goes for the channel.

dennischolmes Sun, 10/26/2008 - 08:34
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

I am a firm believer in RRM when used in deployments that have a density of APs to meet minimum LWAPP deployment best practices. That doesn't mean that I use RRM all of the time. There are situations where RRM needs to be overridden on a given AP to adjust for coverage holes. Of course, Cisco would like to see you purchase more APs and fill in those holes. Then let RRM adjust appropriately. RRM got a bad reputation as it was not always reliable in earlier versions of the code. It has gotten much better but still can not be considered 100% accurate 100% of the time. Deploy the network, turn on RRM, allow the network to settle down, then do a passive site survey to insure the RF capability of the network. If manual changes are necessary then make them. A lot of application vendors do not work well with RRM so consult with the application vendor to determine the needs of your network to provide service for them.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network