cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet drops

CiscogeekIND
Level 1
Level 1

Users are getting packet drops while pinging the gateway (few 5 to 6 packets). i have not found any logs in switches.

This problem is occuring for 2 to 3 minutes after that everything is working fine.

Even i have added the switches in cisco LMS and set syslog alerts. no logs from switches.

I have checked the duplex and speed settings, everything is fine

Any Suggestions....

3 Replies 3

while this is happening, i suggest you ping different devices (some on the same VLAN and others on different VLANs), also, ping all the switches residing on the path to the default gateway. You will then be able to put your hands on the issue.

Cheers,

Good point. Also, is there more than one switch? If so, do you see the problem when you ping across switches or devices on the same switch? Have you changed the native vlans anywhere? If you have one native vlan on one switch, and a different one on another, you can get vlan traffic leaks which can cause a loss of connectivity.

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

lffrwatson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure this will help but I had this same issue. The gateway was 10.1.1.1 I would ping it for days and it work fine then a day later it would drop a few packets. The problem was we got a Bizhub printer and they set the ip address on the printer to be 10.1.1.1 so the printer was answering for the default gateway at times. A royal pain. Good luck.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card