Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopbacks For Connecting

mrashby
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have 6509's that I connect to via one of the the supvervisors. If the supervisor that I use to connect to the switch with goes down I have to switch to the other supervisor to get in. Can I set up a loopback interface to use for a management address?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes if you want to although i'm not entirely clear i fully understand your requirements. Just make sure that each supervisor uses it's own loopback and that the loopbacks are advertised into your routing protocol and you should be fine.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes if you want to although i'm not entirely clear i fully understand your requirements. Just make sure that each supervisor uses it's own loopback and that the loopbacks are advertised into your routing protocol and you should be fine.

Jon

jon,

Each supervisor has its own IP on it. I want to use one address that is always up when I monitor the 6509 in Cisco Works. So to be clear, you are saying each supervisor will use its own loopback and from that I can use either one of those loopbacks as a management interfaces to reach the 6509.

Mario

Sorry i was a little unclear. What redundacny are you using between your supervisors because if you are using SSO/NSF one supervisor will be active and the other standby. The active supervisor will copy it's config to the standby so if the active goes you should still be able to access the supervisor with the same loopback address.

Is this not what you want ?

Jon

Jon,

Everything works. I was able to configure the loopback. Then I shut down the interface on the first supervisor and the switch rolled over to the other interface on the second supervisor and I was still able to access the switch via the loopback. So thanks for the help.

Mario

Mario

No problem, glad it worked. Thanks for letting me know.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card