Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing cisco switches using telnet

AhmadMounir30
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have about six cisco edge (Access layer)switches, all are uplinked to a cisco backbone (Core layer) switch by using the normal hierarchy design that all we know already and get used to it. Each edge switch got certain layer 2 vlans configured. And as we know, all the vlans ip addressing and intervlan routing decisions exists in the backbone switch. All i want is to telnet to all the edge switches from single location without opening several telnet sessions. For example, if my host sit in swA and i want to telnet to swC, i don't need to open a telnet from swA to swB then swC. The trick here is that telnetting to the interface vlans on the backbone will open the session to that backbone not to the associated edge switches.

I solved this by creating a management vlan in each switch with ip address (SVI).It works but still forcing me to open various telnet sessions.

BTW, all trunks are dot 1Q.

Is there anyway to make me telnet to these switches centrally and without several sessions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ahmad

11 Replies 11

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If all your access switches have a management ip address assigned then you should be able to telnet directly to the device unless its being blocked by vty access list . Each switch should have a management ip address and a default gateway assigned to it .

Hello glen,

Many thanks to your fast reply. Big appreciation! ... But, i don't want to connect directly, i want to connect from a host in specific vlan. For example, My host sit in vlan50 in switchA with ip address 192.168.1.2 and my gateway is 192.168.1.1 (interface vlan). Now, i want to telnet to switchB which is in another building. And we know that trunks are layer 2 links are not identified by ip addresses. In this case, how the telnet works?

Thanks..

Ahmad

Ahmad

Even though your switches are L2 you can have one L3 vlan interface on each switch. So what you need to do is use a vlan for managing your switches.

Lets say switch C is your core switch and the vlan for managing switches is vlan 10

On core switch

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.240

on each edge switch

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.10.x 255.255.255.240

where x = an unused IP address.

Then on each edge switch add this to your config

ip default-gateway 192.168.10.1

Edit - you need to make sure vlan 10 exists on all switches ie. if you do a "sh vlan" on each switch you should see vlan 10.

Jon

hi Ahmad,

Routing between VLANs needs to be configured on your core switch between the user VLANs, and the management VLAN.

So i suggest that you make sure to configure interface vlan IP address for the management VLAN on the core switch, and configure this IP address as the default gateway on all edge switches.

It should work.

Cheers,

Hello all,

Many thanks for all these fast replies. Yes wow, i think this is the solution. I will try it tomorrow inshallah.

Thank you guys so much.

CHEERS

Hello muarawashdeh,

I tried the config. that you've told me but unfortunately it didn't work. Okay, let me clear things up ... i just need to telnet to all edge switches from a single PC in a specific vlan. When i configured the switches as you said, i can still only telnet to the core switch not other switches ... In other words, i can ping the management vlan 10.10.8.1 in the core switch but i can't ping the same management vlan 10.10.8.2 in one of the edge switches. Vlan50 is the management vlan number .. let me paste my config. in another thread.

Ahmad Mounir

Dear Ahmad,

Can you attach the configuration of any of the edge switches? as i need to see whats preventing you from this.

Cheers mate,

Muath

Please find the attached txt files for configuration.

Can you specify what ports these 2 devices are hung off of ? Nothing marked in config and you have a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be in the access switch with SVI's etc... I would verify that all your layer 2 vlans are created and the the trunks are working and passing the vlans you think they are.

Your edge switches don't know how to get around using layer 3 with the way they are set up right now.

On your edge switches:

(2 commands)

no ip routing

ip default-gateway 10.10.8.1

*or*

(1 command)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.8.1

Also, to make your configs save a bit more neatly use the 'term len 0' command so the screen doesn't pause.

Hope that helps.

Okay .. now i can ping from my host to 10.10.8.1 and 10.10.8.2 but i can't telnet to them. Only ping.

Any suggestions?

Ahmad Mounir

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco