cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure multiple VLAN / bridge groups on 2801 w/a HWIC-D-9ESW card

sheidelbach
Level 1
Level 1

OK. This should be easy. I guess I've been concentrating on security to long. :(

I have a Cisco 2801 with a HWIC-D-9ESW card in it, and the goal (and I was assured this is possible pre-prechase) would be to have like 2 ports on the card in one VLAN / bridge group, some ports on an individual VLAN, and groups of other ports on the card on other VLANs /bridge groups. Each VLAN with it's own IP address that would be used for the default gateway of things attached to it.

But, as stellar as all the documentation I have seen so far is, it has not really helped much with this as when i try to configure bridge groups (perhaps not what is needed for what I need to do?) the IOS tells me it's not possible for that port.

Well, the plan is to use this for some WAAS appliances so I need at least two groups of two ports that are each on their own VLAN / bridge group.

The code I'm running is 12.3(8r)T9 and does recognize the card fine.

Thanks and thoughts anybody?

Skip

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you just need for them to be in separate vlans you should be able to do it .

1. Create layer 2 vlans in vlan database

At the main command prompt enter "vlan database"

then type in vlan X , where X is the vlan numbers you want to use.

2. If they need to be routed then create the layer 3 SVI for that vlan

conf t

interface vlan X

ip address x.x.x.x

3. Apply vlan to interface

interface fx/x

switchport access vlan X

To check vlan configs use the show vlan-switch" command. Also show interface status will show you the ports and the status of each.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you just need for them to be in separate vlans you should be able to do it .

1. Create layer 2 vlans in vlan database

At the main command prompt enter "vlan database"

then type in vlan X , where X is the vlan numbers you want to use.

2. If they need to be routed then create the layer 3 SVI for that vlan

conf t

interface vlan X

ip address x.x.x.x

3. Apply vlan to interface

interface fx/x

switchport access vlan X

To check vlan configs use the show vlan-switch" command. Also show interface status will show you the ports and the status of each.

Quick side note, Cisco is trying to move from the vlan database command, so using 'vlan xxx' in global config is the new way of doing things.

If you do choose to still use the 'vlan database' command remember to actualy type exit and not hit control-z or it won't apply the changes. I've spent a LOT of time having to re-enter VLANs into the database....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: