cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-3750-48PS-S HSRP Address Error

lukebrennan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, trying to configure numerous vlans on a 3750 core (48-PS-S/12-S) and am getting the following error. Didn't get any help from Cisco's Error Message Decoder.

Error: %Platform already has maximum FHRP groups configured - virtual MAC reservation failed

I'm using software: (C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(46)SE

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How many different hsrp groups do you have defined ? Each model has a limit of how many different hsrp groups can be defined . Also you do not have to have a different hsrp group number for each hsrp instance .

About 48 Vlans, each has an hsrp address, this is being used as a redundant core. At least I was hoping to.

I find it hard to believe this is the limit, this day in age?

Regardless of the HSRP group numbers used the 3750 has a platform limitation of 32 HSRP instances (same for 3560). I hit this a while ago and I thought it was a backwards step as the 3550 it replaces didn't have the same limitation.

I would however question why you are using a 3750 as a 'Core' and have 48 VLANs you want to terminate the Layer-3 SVI's on? It might be worth explaining your topology as there could be other options. Layer-3 to the edge is something that is now quite common and removes the need for terminating lots of SVI's on distribution (or small/collapsed core?) switches.

HTH

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: