cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS 4.1.1b.15 - Saving Office Documents

dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

We are testing WAAS in one of our branch offices. It is a small office with about 8 people. The office has a 2Mbps WAN connection with a latency back to the main office of around 80ms. We are using the Enterprise license with CIFS enabled. Everything seems to be working very well except for MS Office 2003. We can copy documents down very fast (files were prepositioned) but when we open a file with Word/Excel, etc, it will load pretty quick, but there is a substantial delay before any changes can be made. If we go as far as adding one character (such as a space) into a document, then attempt to save the document, once again there is an incredible delay. We understand that the Office products are writing to a temp (.tmp) file in the share while the file is open in the application, is this what is causing the delay? Can this not be optimized somehow? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Dan

4 Replies 4

dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

As an example, we did the following test...

File: 35KB Word Document

Opening (and able to type) 7 Seconds - This had to open the Word Application also, so this is pretty good.

Closing Application (no save) - 2 Seconds

Closing Application (saving with one 'space' added) - 19 Seconds

As you can see, the saving of the document takes much longer than anything else, and this is just a 35KB file.

Hi ..

I'm testing WAAS 4.1.1 ..

I confirm that also for me CIFS is really

much more slow copying and saving files ..

I read one of your advise " Turned off the 'Allow Background Saves "...

But the problem is that i cannot do on every clients...

Any news ??

Bye Vittorio

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

Make sure under the excel, word options background saves are not enabled.

Hi, I am involved in WAAS design and noticed your reference to Background saves slowing up Office doc saves and closes. Please explain why this is slower than a manual user save? - More details please.

Thanks

Mick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: