cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 ARP Issue

chrish
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network consisting of 2 4500's and 16 or so 3750's. The network has 12 or so VLAN's and a few hundred devices. The 4500's do all inter VLAN routing. I had a computer that had become intermittent on the network when contacted from a different subnet (would answer 30-50% of pings) but was fine on the local subnet. I checked the ARP cache on the 4500 and the IP/MAC info was correct. I chased down the MAC in the CAM and that was correct also. As soon as I deleted the ARP entry, the problem cleared up.

We believe this problem has happened several times over the past few weeks on different computers.

Can anyone explain why a seemingly correct ARP entry would cause this intermittent problem?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Could be ARP Spoofing issue !!!

In that case Dynamic ARP inspection would be useful..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swdynarp.html

HTH...rate if helpful..

I have experienced similar issues before. most cases it down to bad patch cable or the NIC driver needs updating.

Franco

I don't believe it is ARP spoofing. I would expect to see the incorrect MAC address if that were correct. The ARP table shows the correct IP -> MAC mapping, yet clearing that mapping seems to correct (temporarily as I am now told) the problem

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am seeing similar behavior. Switch is a 4507R with a single SUPIV.

It's driving me nuts!

No. We haven't resolved the issue but it seems to have calmed down lately, so it is unfortunately no longer on the front burner. Please update this string if you find anything out and I will do the same, but unless it acts up again I don't foresee me getting back to it in the next couple of weeks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco