cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP720 boots to Rommon when Power-off.

MARC MONTANARI
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 with redundant SUP720-PFC3-MSFC3.

The standby SUP goes to rommon any time the Catalyst is powered off and on again.

Then when I type the boot command

it boots normaly, retrieving the booting string with the path/name of the image.And then, it runs fine.

But it is faulty again if I ever unplug the card off and on again from its slot.

Of course, I've set the config-reg to 0x2102 through configuration mode in IOS. When the SUP720 is in Rommon, I did the same with the rommon command "confreg". I even copy the rommon environment to nvram with the rommon command "sync".

But however, any time this card is powered off, it goes to rommon again, on the next power-on.

Can anybody help ?

7 Replies 7

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marc,

Please paste the running config or output of the boot variable configured.

-amit singh

I will send the requested infos asap.

But, by the way, I wanted to add one point :

in the bootvar, the bootstrap is configured this way :

BOOT = bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH.bin,1;

What does the "1" at the end of the string represent ?

Because on the Active SUP, the image is File # 1 on the bootdisk:

But on my Standby SUP (the faulty one), the image is stated as file #2 on the bootdisk:

Is this of any importance for this problem ?

This number signifies that this will be the primary boot variable used when booting up the Sup. The number 2 signifies that in case if the primary boot variable is not available it will try to boot it via the second boot variable. But if the sup falls in the rommon immediately after the booting, it might not be used. We need to check the proper booting sequence of the Sup.

Another thing that I have just noticed is that you are using bootdisk: only not " bootdisk0: or bootdisk1:" which specifies the proper boot slot disk flash number to be used.

Please try changing it as per the disk slot used in the sup.

First remove the boot variable from the primary sup and let the configs sysc between both the sup. Then set the proper boot variable and check the boot config on both the sup's.

bootdisk: this is the internal flash. I do not have any Compact Flash in Disk slot 0 & Disk slot 1.

Please find attached the "show boot" and "show run". This is on the Active SUP. The Standby SUP is in Romon again and appears "missing" to the Active SUP.

show run 6509

Marc,

Could you please capture the booting sequence and also the boot variable output from the standby sup. When its in rommon, you can paste the output of " set " command.

ok for info : I had 2 failures :

the original one , which was the image file defined in the boot variable was not existing on the slave bootdisk.

the second failure was that I changed the SUP720 for a different one. But the original SUP720 was a SUP720 and the added one was a SUPT720-3B. In this case, the active card refuses to work with the standby ward. It sets the standby confreg to zero and reset it, forcing it to return to rommon. see attached, the message on the active card log

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card