Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E upgrade from 7.04 to 7.2/8.0x

peteruwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Please can someone provide me an advice on this?

1. We are about upgrading our PIX 515E/ failover pair from 7.04 to 8.0x. but not sure which release has been tested and confirmed to be the most stable. I want to know which is the best version to upgrade to.

1. If there is no 8.0x versions very stable at the moment, is 7.2 ok? Is there any 7.2 version i should chose in prefernce for other?

All the memory/flash requirements are ok on my pix

Kind Reagrds

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No that issue pertains only to the VPN connections terminated 'on' the firewall itself.

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They both are not that great when it comes to stability. I would go with 8.0(3) or 8.0(4).

Regards

Farruk

Farruk,

Thanks for your response. I have seen other peoples comment about some services not working properly after upgrading to 8.0x. Our Network is quite large and would not want to risk any service failure or struggling to get some services to work after the upgrade. Is there anything you think I should be aware of, prior to this upgrade you suggested?

Peter you have to plan this out for sure with a 'downgrade plan' incase the need arises. One particular bug is with VPNs going down after upgrading to 8.x (this is with regards to compression being enabled by default or something). Some stuff works better in 7.x and other works better in 8.x. If you have multiple firewalls make sure you test one out, and if possible test it out first one one of the less critical boxes you have.

Regards

Farrukh

You need to ask yourself the following questions:

- What features do I need in newer releases that

are not currently available in 7.0.4? Can

I get by with version 7.0.8(GD)?

- What is the Pros and Cons of upgrading to

new releases? What are the "risk" factors?

I might be spending countless night trouble-

shooting issues after upgrade.

Nobody can answer this question for you

without first understanding your environment.

That's where consultants usually come in.

Mic,

yes I will plan out things as adviced. With regards to compression enabled by default in 8.0x, I have all my VPN terminated on a VPN concentrator and the Concentrator is connected to the PIX dmz I wil be upgrading. Will this still have any effect on the VPN?

No that issue pertains only to the VPN connections terminated 'on' the firewall itself.

Regards

Farrukh

Hi Farrukh,

Thanks for your advice. i have upgraded the PIX through ver7.04->7.24->8.04 and all seems to be working fine. I had a few issues with sqlnet which did not work after upgrade to 8.04 but had to turn off sqlnet inspection on the firewall.

It worked ok afterwards

Regards

Peter

Thats great to know mate :)

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: