cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Crypto RSA Key for authentication using SSH in Cisco WS-C4506

Cesar Ortega
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I wonder how I can generate a rsa key for automatic authentication with my Cisco switches and routers. Every time I want to connect to them, they ask me by my user and password; However I heard with a public key configured between the switch and my ssh client (putty or openssh in Debian), they never will ask me this information again. Have you heard something about that? Please help me... Thanks

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

To generate RSA keys use the command “Router(config)# crypto key generate rsa [usage-keys | general-keys] [key-pair-label] “ in config mode.

This explains about the RSA key generation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t8/feature/guide/ftmltkey.html#wp101535

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Cesar,

Creating the RSA Keys is for SSH to work. But, when you try to access the Router or Switch through SSH, the router or switch is going to prompt you for Authentication if AAA is configured on that specific chassis. So, if you use the Username/Password that you typically use for your telnet connection, does it work? and let you access the chassis.

Based on the type of AAA configured, the chassis will prompt you for Username/Password.

Regards,

Arul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: