cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Load Balancing & Redundancy

jesus.dominguez
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding BGP. I have 2 dirrerent ISP that attach to their own router. We currently have radware boxes that act as VRRP. The boxes are old and would like to use a different method. I am trying to find the best way to load balance and protect myself from any hardware failure. I been researching HRSP, VRRP and GLBP. Which scenerio is recommened for what I am trying to accomplish? Any advice will be appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jesus,

if you have multiple end users devices to achieve load balancing and redundancy I would consider GLBP.

But if the two routers connect to a single device like a firewall or other router and not directly to users GLBP does not provide any advantage on HSRP or VRRP.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuslar,

Thanks for your quick response. Let me ask you a quick question. If I run HSRP, that means that one of my connections will be on stanby until the primary fails. Will this only affect when going out? So any request to the Internet will be serviced by only one ISP? Or will BGP balance the load? What about when the outside tries to connect to us? Will they be able to select the best path either ISP A or ISP B?

Thank you in adavance.

dlambert
Level 1
Level 1

You should possibly use our Elfiq LB products (www.elfiq.com/Products/Models/Models-Comparison.aspx')">http://www.elfiq.com/Products/Models/Models-Comparison.aspx). They are much more affordable then Radware's. The low end LB-550E (2 links; 30 Mbps) is priced at $2,495. The high end LB-4000 (>2 links; 1.2 Gbps) is priced at $17,995.

Inbound and outbound traffic will be balanced between your 2 ISP. Routers will not balance traffic between links, but will usually work in failover. The secondary link is not used unless the main one fails.

As for an Elfiq implementation, it is much easier. For most implementations, our customers fill in the required data in the attached Excel Pre-Configuration Spreadsheet and e-mail it back to us. Elfiq then pre-configures the unit(s) and delivers it to the proper address(es). You then insert Elfiq between your firewall(s) and your routers/modems.

Furthermore , Elfiq products are very secure since they are designed at layer 2 and require no IP adresses. Hackers do not know that an Elfiq device is installed and therefore cannot hack it.

Do not hesitate to contact me for further information.

Daniel Lambert

www.elfiq.com

tel: (888) 463-5347 x820

cel: (514) 996-7930

dlambert
Level 1
Level 1

Jesus,

I forgot to mention my e-mail address. Here it is: dlambert@elfiq.com.

Daniel Lambert

www.elfiq.com

tel: (888) 463-5347 x820

cel: (514) 996-7930

ablosanped
Level 1
Level 1

I have cisco 7206 VXR router and I want to set up BGP on 2 different ISP link.

When i write router bgp 10 ,i have error talking about router image.

The ios is xxxxxx-ipbasek9.bin.

do i need to upgrade the ios if yes what ios ?

Thanks for the reply

Best regards

tcordier
Level 1
Level 1

What devices are connecting to the RAD devices on your side? Are there firewalls, or switches or internal routers? This information would make it easier to understand what solutions there are.

Regards, Thomas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card