cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841

phyllomeds
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that wants me to install an 1841 router at there location. I have attached the layout of the network to be configured. They want to replace the switch with the router and load balance 2 ISPs so that each I.P address gets failover from the ISP. Is it possible with this router? I am knowledgeable but would not say experienced with configureing Cisco routers so any help would be appreciated. Since there are only 2 lans I would only need configure static routes for this router, right? I was also told that there is a specific protocol called OER that was used for load balancing, if so this is where I could use some help.

any help is greatly appreciated!

2 Replies 2

lffrwatson
Level 1
Level 1

If i'm not misstaken I don't believe you can do load balancing in your current proposed solution. You can provide the client with ISP redundancy but not load balancing. You can do BGP multi-homing but I seriously doubt this is an option for you. Basically you would do interface tracking and once the primary ISP fails the router will automatically switch over to the backup ISP connection. If the client wants more bandwidth I suggest getting a larger bandwidth circuit. Good Luck.

I am not aware of or have used interface tracking. Can you tell me how this works?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: