IP Communicator and Vista (Corp Directory not accessible)

Unanswered Question
Oct 29th, 2008

Here's an interesting issue:

I am able to register several IP Communicator apps with my CUCM 5.1.3c cluster successfully and everything works great - except no Corporate Direcory nor Personal Directory options appear in IPC when the Directory button is pressed and the IPC client OS is Vista.

Here's the kicker - only reproducable on Vista machines. Directories work great for all Win XP clients in this same cluster.

Some other info:

1. My URL for Directories is expressed as an IP address rather than a name.

2. We confirmed connectivity exists for the Vista PC by placing the following in the address field of a browser on the PC:

The Vista browser receives the same XML response provided to working XP and 2003 clients.

3. I reviewed and performed the suggested action for 'IP Communicator Users are Unable to View Corporate Directory' here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5475/products_tech_note09186a008026d36f.shtml#directory1

WinXp IPCs worked as before; Vista IPCs still do not.

4. We tried directly expressing a Directory username and password as suggested by the IP Communicator user guide. http://www.cusd.com/training/voip/cug21book.pdf

Also, no change.

5. I found a related Netpro post here but no direct resolution:


We disabled all internal firewalls on the Vista PC as suggested in that post.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to resolve the inability to access the Corporate Directory for IPC on a Vista PC?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jbayuka Tue, 11/04/2008 - 14:34

Is Vista a 32 bit OS or a 64bit OS? As per release notes 2.1 version CIPC is supported only on 32 bit version of Vista.

If it is 32-bit disable all Web services that were listening on Port 80 on the Vista machines. These included SQL and IIS services that were operating as web servers.

tzunt Fri, 11/07/2008 - 09:35

Thank you jbayuka. We use 32-bit Vista. Good ideas.

My customer was able to resolve the issue with something else we originally suspected. It was a windows firewall problem. At some point

the user's account being tested was moved into a new Vista OU and it had GPO firewall settings on it. We did not know the account was configured as such and still thought I was in a wide open OU.

The customer removed the user account from this GPO, and unblocked IPC on the

windows firewall, and it works perfect now.


This Discussion