Views
Helpful
Replies

Two VTP Servers in the same VTP Domain

arabindas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I was planning to load balance our 4506 core switch with a Cisco 3750G switch. Let me know how we can have it. Ay possibility that both switch can be configured as VTP servers, so that if 4506 switch goes down, then the 3750G switch can take it over?

Thanks

Arabinda

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The updation would certainly happen between the VTP servers. If I were you, I would have approached it in the way as mentioned below :

1. Configure the VTP domain settings on all the switches and configure only one server as the VTP server.

2. Once the VTP domain gets stabilize, set the other switch that you want to configure as VTP server to revision number 0.

3. Once the new switch is set to the same VTP domain name with revision number 0 and configured as VTP server, connect it to the LAN. This way it will inherit all the VTP settings along with the new configuration revision number.

4. Once this is done you will be all set to go with the VTP servers.

HTH,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

You can have two VTP servers in a VTP domain i am currently having a live setup based on this setup the only process I follow here is that the VLAN addition,deletions are reflected manually on both the VTP servers in the domain and hence there is no issue of the conflict rising

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

yes possible

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you can have two VTP servers in a domain for HA. Its is typically recommneded for a large Campus networks.

Hey guys thank you. Any idea of the configuration? I want one server to be the primary one and other operate as an secondary.

Thanks

Hi,

The one with the highest id is the primairy server (i thought so).

You just need to configure both switches

Switch(config)#vtp mode server

switch(config)#vtp domain YOURDVTPDOMAIN

Make sure that first configure the switches as client in the vtp domain otherwise it can be possible that the new installed vtp server will be the primairy and overwrite your existing vlans.

Well you cannot configure the priority in that sense. The idea behind this is that you will eventually run two VTP servers and either of those have capability to make VLAN changes and iturn will update the entire VTP domain. In case either of the switch fails, you still have another VTP server to take care of the domain configuration.

Thank you Singh, I am just curious to know if the vtp updation would happen between both the VTP servers or not. Will there be any problem for the revision number on both the switch would be different.

Thanks

The updation would certainly happen between the VTP servers. If I were you, I would have approached it in the way as mentioned below :

1. Configure the VTP domain settings on all the switches and configure only one server as the VTP server.

2. Once the VTP domain gets stabilize, set the other switch that you want to configure as VTP server to revision number 0.

3. Once the new switch is set to the same VTP domain name with revision number 0 and configured as VTP server, connect it to the LAN. This way it will inherit all the VTP settings along with the new configuration revision number.

4. Once this is done you will be all set to go with the VTP servers.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hey Amit, Great, Thanks for the steps and clarifying my doubts. I would implement his shortly and let you know.

Regards

Arvind

Before putting the new switch in change the vtp domain name to something other than what you are using then change it to the current name this will make the vtp config version of 1 . Vtp updates are always done by the server with highest config revision number and thus will update the newly installed server because he has a lower version number .

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

This is absolutely not possible at this time in the IOS. You can only have 1 VTP domain name. Currently there is no such thing as having a primary and secondary VTP domain with one as the primary.

HTH,

Brandon

You can have two VTP servers in a VTP domain i am currently having a live setup based on this setup the only process I follow here is that the VLAN addition,deletions are reflected manually on both the VTP servers in the domain and hence there is no issue of the conflict rising

Thank you Sudhir. I simulated this in the LAB, seems to be working fine in the lab environment as well.

Thank you all for your support.

Regards

Arabinda

abelleli71
Level 1
Level 1

For better control of the environment I suggest to implement VTP SERVER> CLIENT MODE and then pass to TRANSPARENT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco