cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5.0 UM to VM with Exchange 2003

gnystrom
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that does not want to buy a Exchange Cal license for there VM users.

Currently they have about 500 users installed on a Unified Exchange 2003 Server. They want to move 370 users to a VM runtime Exchange server.

I have seen the white paper for Mixed license and it states:

How to Set Up a Cisco Unity Configuration to Support a Mixed VM/UM License:

Segmenting Voice Messaging Subscribers

To allow for careful management of Voice Messaging subscribers, we recommend doing one of the

following:

• Exchange only-Dedicate a storage group on one or more Exchange servers that houses all Voice Messaging subscribers.

My question is can I just create a storage group on the UM exchange server for the VM users?

What are the steps for doing this?

Permissions Wizard?

Thanks,

Greg Nystrom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You cannot, you need to create new accounts, as the old ones are unified and are referenced by the email as well. To seperate UM from VM doing the COS change is not enough, you still need to seperate email mailbox from VM mailbox, hence creating new AD user with new Exchange mailbox. Typically the VM accounts are called somthing like vm-alias.

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don' really need a seperate storage group, unless you want to. You can simply create new AD users/Exchange mailboxes in the same mailstore, you can either do this via Unity if you have sufficient right allocated or create these users/mailboxe ahead of time and import in Unity. Make sure you specify the COS as VM rather than UM in Unity when building these subscribers.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

This does work great with the new COS however the UM accounts are already created in Exchange.

How can I use the DiRT tool to pull the 370 UM users out and push them back in as a VM users or can I bulk edit the users?

Thanks again!

-G

You cannot, you need to create new accounts, as the old ones are unified and are referenced by the email as well. To seperate UM from VM doing the COS change is not enough, you still need to seperate email mailbox from VM mailbox, hence creating new AD user with new Exchange mailbox. Typically the VM accounts are called somthing like vm-alias.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

One more question when creating a VM mailbox with Unity Exchange 2003 does that require a M$ CAL.

I see no difference with the VM mailbox vs UM mailbox. M$ defines a CAL as a mailbox. I know that MS is on the honor system for Exchange but my client does not want a audit and come up short.

Thanks,

-G

No, the CAL cost is built into the Unity user license.

HTH,

Chris

safety2008
Level 4
Level 4

Greg,

We did and still use this type of app. we did create a seperate store and use alias of vm-xxxxxxx/user in unity. I am not our exchange guru, and he is out today but i can ask him what we did. i dont think we used the wizard as we found it sometimes useless.and all vm- accts are in that store in xchange.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: